- Change your thinking. If you view exercise as a hassle or a privilege, then you won’t make it a priority in your life. Treat exercise as a part of your normal self-care and you’ll learn to love it.
- Release judgment. Don’t expect to be a triathlete in the beginning or possibly ever-it’s not necessary to break world records get the benefits your body needs. Take it slow and easy, building up intensity gradually.
- Find personal meaning. Exercise as moving meditation. Incorporate it into your spiritual practice. Use it to clear your mind. Make exercise a part of whatever you’re passionate about in life, and you’ll love it more and more everyday.
- Do what you love. Choose activities that you enjoy. You will not stick with a program that mainly consists of exercises that you hate. If you like to dance, take a samba class. If you like nature, hike to get a great workout and a beautiful view. Catering to your own preferences will help you learn to love exercise in no time.
- Compete with yourself. Avoid the tendency to compare yourself with others by focusing on your abilities. Challenge yourself to do a little better than you did the last time. Set goals for each session to foster a sense of accomplishment.
- Integrate. If you want to learn to love exercise, then you have to do it. Make exercise a part of every aspect of your life. Schedule a date to walk with a friend. Plan vacations that include physical activity. Be a better parent by setting a good example for your children. Regular exercise is a lifestyle choice.